Destiny 2: Lightfall Update Makes Almost Every Primary Weapon Archetype Better
The patch notes for the new Destiny 2 update reveal how several primary weapon archetypes will do some serious damage against red-bar enemies.
A new update has gone live for Destiny 2, and it's a big one that covers various areas of the game according to the patch notes. One of the biggest changes that players will see is a buff to several primary weapon archetypes in PvE, as auto rifles, pulse rifles, scout rifles, sidearms, and hand cannons are all being buffed against red and orange-bar enemies. You'll be able to deal 10-25% more damage to enemies depending on the weapon you have equipped, while trace rifles, sniper rifles, and fusion rifles are also being fine-tuned.
Auto rifles will now do 25% more damage, pulse rifles, sidearms, and hand cannons get a 20% damage increase buff, and scout rifles will now have a 10% boost to their damage output.
For fans of elemental lasers, trace rifles are getting a slight buff. They'll now do 4% more base damage, the precision hit multiplier has been slightly lowered, and flinch has been reduced by 10%. Rapid-fire sniper rifles will now benefit from a 30% increase in ammo and a huge 50% drop in recoil, while rapid-fire fusion rifles get a small boost to burst and bolt damage.
For Exotics, several of these deadly weapons are also being changed up. Much to the delight of PvP players, Final Warning will no longer mark targets through Titan barricades and Tarrabah has received a pair of tiny nerfs to the amount of Ravenous Beast energy generated when taking damage and to its zoom magnification level. Season of the Seraph's signature Exotic, Revision Zero, now has a substantial increase to damage in PvE, as the power of Hakke Heavy Burst rounds have been improved by 75% and Hunter's Trace rounds now do 25% more damage.
The catch here is that the Fourth Times the Charm perk will now be reset when entering Hunter's Trace. Bungie says that this will prevent the issue of firing a single shot while in Hunter's Trace and being forcibly returned to pulse mode when Fourth Times the Charm activates.
For Raid fans, there's a big upgrade this week to the weapons earned in that high-level PvE activity. Root of Nightmares Adept weapons earned from the Master Raid can now be upgraded with enhanced traits, if Deepsight has been unlocked on them and you have a craftable version available. An enhancement socket will be available to perform this upgrade in the weapon details screen.
Elsewhere in the patch notes, Bungie has detailed several tweaks to the Crucible, Vanguard Ops, and Dungeons. Several of these changes had been discussed in previous blog posts by Bungie, with PvP receiving some big additions, such as a new 6v6 connection-based matchmaking weekly rotator and new metrics for the Competitive Division.
In other Destiny 2 news, details on Season of the Deep's new content has leaked and Bungie claims to have "irrefutable evidence" as to who the leaker is.
Destiny 2 Update 18.104.22.168
- Fixed an issue where the Consecrated Essence could appear duplicated.
- Added a new 6v6 connection-based matchmaking (CBMM) Weekly Rotator, which includes Clash, Zone Control, and Rift.
- The existing 6v6 Party Rotator is now Mayhem, Momentum Control, and Scorched.
- Updated tutorial crucible quest to reflect changes to available playlists.
- Added a metric showing off your Competitive Division rank.
- Ascendant Competitive Division players can now purchase an emblem from Shaxx.
- Fixed errant Glorious and Dredgen awarding/gilding. All players must reclaim/regild their titles if they have completed the requisite Triumphs.
- Increased the strength of the respawn overshield in Crucible.
- In Rift, activating Grapple no longer drops the Spark.
- In Rift, players can no longer dunk the Spark while moving faster than 15 meters per second or while using a Grapple ability.
- Legend difficulty Defiant Battlegrounds now rotate their weapon overcharge weekly.
- Defeating Tormentors now provides revive tokens like Champions and Hive Guardians in some activities.
- Fixed Hive door locks in Heist Battlegrounds to behave the same in all versions of the activity.
- Tuned difficulty in Heist Battlegrounds present in Vanguard and Nightfall playlists.
- Fixed an issue where a crash could rarely occur shortly after picking up the first Solar Cell in The Arms Dealer.
- Fixed an issue where The Arms Dealer enemies, which continually respawn to drop required Solar Cells, could be farmed limitlessly for points.
Raids and Dungeons
- Fixed an issue in the Duality dungeon where Nightmare of Gahlran could not teleport back to the encounter space after falling out of the environment.
- Fixed an issue where checkpoints were shared between Legend and Master mode for raids and dungeons.
- Fixed an issue in Root of Nightmares where the Scission encounter would sometimes soft lock preventing progress.
- Fixed an issue in Root of Nightmares where sometimes the intended screen VFX did not play when players failed the encounter.
- Fixed an issue in Root of Nightmares where Nezarec will sometimes not cast a wipe when intended.
- Fixed an issue where players could sometimes get pushed through walls by Vex traps and then get stuck there.
Gameplay and Investment
- Fixed an issue where the Peacekeepers' reload perk wouldn´t activate after you stowed an energy slot SMG.
- Fixed an issue where Phoenix Cradle was not consistently extending the duration of the Sol Invictus buff while Burning Maul was equipped.
- Fixed an issue where certain Gambit weapons were not contributing to the Dark Age Arsenal Triumph.
PvE Primary Weapon Balance
- Increased the damage of the following weapon types against red and orange-bar enemies in PvE.
- Auto Rifles: 25%
- Pulse Rifles, Hand Cannons, and Sidearms: 20%
- Scout Rifles: 10%
- Ikelos SMGs
- Removed some tuning in the custom scope that was causing this weapon to have significantly less recoil than intended. The recoil is now in line with other Aggressive SMGs.
- Fixed an issue causing the Adept Exalted Truth to have a lower magazine size than the standard version.
- Rapid Fires
- Per burst: 245 to 260
- Per bolt: 27.2 to 28.9
- Damage in PvE is unchanged.
- Increased base damage by 4% (base damage goes from 12 to 12.5).
- Reduced precision hit multiplier from 1.4x to 1.35x (crit damage goes from 16.8 to 16.9).
- Reduced flinch by 10% at 100 stability stat (scales down at lower values).
- Rapid-Fire Sniper Rifles
- Reduced recoil by 50%.
- Increased total ammunition (magazine + reserves) by 30%.
Heavy Grenade Launchers
- Fixed an issue where Omolon Heavy Grenade Launchers were missing their VFX.
- Fixed an issue where Dimensional Hypotrochoid could be obtained with a range masterwork. This fix prevents the weapon from dropping with range and changes any existing copies with range to the equivalent handling tier.
- Can no longer mark targets through Titan Barricades.
- Reduced the amount of Ravenous Beast energy generated when taking damage from 3% to 1%.
- Reduced zoom from 16 to 15.
- Fourth Times the Charm will now be reset when entering Hunter's Trace.
- This will prevent the issue of firing a single shot while in Hunter's Trace and being forcibly returned to pulse mode when Fourth Times the Charm activates.
- Increased PvE damage of the Hunter's Trace rounds by 25%.
- Increased PvE damage of the Häkke Heavy Burst rounds by 75%.
- Fixed an issue in which the enhanced version of the Wellspring perk generated too little energy when the player had any number of charged abilities.
- Added the capability to upgrade Root of Nightmares Adept weapons with enhanced traits. If you have unlocked Deepsight on weapons, an enhancement socket will be available to perform this upgrade in the weapon details screen.
- Fixed tooltips for Master dungeons to properly list Artifice Armor as rewards.
- The area of effect now extends slightly further behind and above the Rally Barricade to make staying in the buff area more achievable, especially on uneven terrain.
- Fixed an issue where Stasis Shards created by the Glacial Harvest aspect would not grant melee ability energy to Penumbral Blast if the player had a Sword or Glaive readied.
- Fixed an issue where Jolt chain lightning was unable to target some types of PvE combatants.
- Fixed an issue where trying to throw rapidly while carrying a Tangle could result in an uncharged melee attack.
Bounties and Pursuits
- Fixed an issue where players couldn´t interact with the Evidence Board after the Exotic Glaive pursuit is completed.
- Added the Best Dressed Commendation.
- Fixed an issue where the objective to complete a dungeon solo Solo Spelunker does not count completions from before the player is Guardian Rank 10.
- Fixed an issue where the objective to complete the raid on Master difficulty does not count completions from before the player is Guardian Rank 10.
- Players who have crafted their first Exotic Glaive from The Witch Queen can now claim the Patterns for their other characters from the Evidence Board.
- Veteran players now receive the correct amount of lore books when they reach Guardian Rank 7 for the first time.
- Fixed an issue where players are blocked from progressing past Guardian Rank 3 if they previously bought all available subclass Aspects.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the revenue if you buy anything featured on our site.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email email@example.com
Join the conversation